Due to expansion of services in the field of drug rehabilitation, the Foundation for the Rehabilitation of Drug Abusers (Caritas Malta) invites applications for the role of Instructor in Gardening at Tal-Ibwar Adolescents Therapeutic Services project on a full-time basis.
Description of the Role
This Educator/Instructor has an integral role at Caritas Tal-Ibwar Adolescents Therapeutic Services. The individual will be entrusted with enabling the adolescents’ educational experience in gardening and facilitating their performance to achieve accreditations in the subject of Agribusiness. The selected candidate will contribute for the upkeep and maintenance of the agricultural land at Tal-Ibwar. Main tasks will involve cultivation, watering and feeding of plants, shrubs and trees, ensuring soil is in a good state and free of weeds and pests, animal husbandry, and using and maintaining the irrigation system in good order. This role also includes delivering training to adolescents regarding agribusiness.
- Planning and preparing of gardening sessions with adolescents which are in line with the Directorate for Qualification and Standard in Education (DQSE) Applied Award Programme;
- Facilitating gardening sessions which are practical, interesting and relevant to the adolescents’ inquisitiveness;
- Supporting the adolescents’ learning according to their individual strengths, needs and interests;
- Assessing the adolescents’ progress;
- Cooperating with other educators to compile learning portfolios to record the adolescents’ progress and achievements; and
- Liaising and cooperating with other educators, therapeutic facilitators and psycho-social professionals to enable an overall learning and therapeutic experience for all adolescents within the service.
It is also expected that the instructor respects and adheres to the therapeutic models and ethos adopted by Tal-Ibwar Adolescents Therapeutic Services. Adequate training will be provided to the right applicant.
The individuals interested in this role shall meet the following requirements:
- a recognized qualification in gardening or related field or at least 5 years proven experience;
- sound knowledge of health and safety principles;
- able to use various machines and hand tools including mechanical and electrical ones;
- be mature with sound moral values;
- be physically fit to carry out expected duties in agricultural land;
- able to communicate and write in Maltese and English;
- possess a clean driving licence;
- willing to follow training courses as and where required;
- experience in animal husbandry will be considered an asset;
Whilst preference will be given to educators/instructors with a permanent teaching warrant, those not in a possession of such a teacher’s warrant may also apply, given they fulfill the abovementioned requirements. However, if chosen, they need to apply for a Temporary Teacher’s Warrant according to MEDE requirements for the same subject taught.
Interested individuals are invited to send their CV together with a cover letter to the Human Resources Manager via email on firstname.lastname@example.org. Qualifications and experience claimed must be supported by certificates and/or testimonials. The deadline for submissions is Monday 1st February 2021.